- Category: Specializations
- Published: 18 November 2015
All IFBA certifications are based on a Body of Knowledge (BOK) developed by international subject matter experts and validated through a Job Task Analysis (JTA) process as required by ISO/IEC 17024: 2012 Conformity assessment - General Requirements for Bodies 0perating Certification of Persons. The JTA is a systematic process designed to identify and validate the knowledge and tasks that are required to demonstrate competence within each technical discipline. The IFBA’s JTA process included an international survey of biorisk management professionals to assess the criticality and frequency of each knowledge and task statement, the results of which serve as the blueprint for the design and content of the examinations.
The IFBA will be certifying individuals at the “Level 1 - Professional Certification (PC)” and “Level 2 – Specialist Professional Certification (SPC)” in a number of technical disciplines and specializations related to the field of biosafety, biosecurity and biorisk management. A PC designation demonstrates that individuals have the understanding and knowledge they need for a specific technical discipline. An SPC designation enable individuals to demonstrate they are highly specialized within their technical discipline and can apply their knowledge and analyze solutions applicable to their workplace. A valid PC in Biorisk Management is a pre-requisite certification required before candidates are eligible to apply for IFBA certification in additional technical disciplines. The IFBA’s certifications are valid for a period of 5 years after which the certificants must undergo a recertification process.
The program is being launched one certification level at a time with the new program initially offering PC certifications in the following disciplines:
• Biorisk Management (Currently offered at Level 1 Professional Certification; Pre-requisite certification for all others)
• Biological Waste Management (Currently offered at Level 1 Professional Certification)
• Biocontainment Facility Design, Operations & Maintenance (Currently offered at Level 1 Professional Certification)
• Biosafety Cabinet Selection, Installation and Safe Use (Currently offered at Level 1 Professional Certification)
• Biosecurity (Currently offered at Level 1 Professional Certification)